"Every child is gifted--they just unwrap their packages at different times" ~Unknown







Thursday, September 29, 2011

Food for Thought

Last Sunday at church, I was speaking with a retired teacher who taught 2nd grade for 30 years. She gave me some advice that I thought was beneficial to share with everyone--she told me to take time to truly enjoy my students. Often times we get so caught up in meeting standards and teaching content that we forget to take time to talk to our children and really get to know them. Of course we love them through the year and we can recite each child's academic strengths and weaknesses, but do we really know our children? I have tried to keep this advice with me this week and take time just to talk to my students about whatever. At the end of each day, I have felt more fulfilled and closeness to my students that I have never felt before. Try it if you can, I think you will find it very rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. What great advice. About ten years ago, I went to a class titled, "Excellence in Teaching and Discipline with Love" and it changed the way I teach forever. He reminded us to enjoy our experiences with students. Also, he stated the importance of building great relationships with students so they know they can trust you. When students trust their teacher, learning is definitely more evident.

    ReplyDelete