"Every child is gifted--they just unwrap their packages at different times" ~Unknown







Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Woes of Inclusion

So...it has been a pretty crazy week. We were only in school 3 days due to Labor Day and Hurricane Lee that hit AL Sunday & Monday--it pretty much was a monsoon here!

This year I have a student who I inherited from another SPED teacher. From the IEP and the information told to me, I gathered that the student's only true weakness (and it was not too bad) was math. For the last 4 weeks of school, I have watched this student go from understanding a tiny bit, to being completely clueless in the area of math. The student is no where near grade level and I am VERY concerned. The classroom teacher and I are afraid we are going to have to put this student on a modified math curriculum (we are meeting tomorrow to discuss options) which is going to be a very difficult conversation for the parents. The student is currently in the class about 85-90% of they day but if we change the IEP the student will be coming out for at least an 1 1/2 each day...which goes against the whole Inclusion idea. The thing that I find so frustrating is that since my school has adopted an inclusion model, we have lost sight of whats BEST for each student. My administrators cannot seem to get past the fact that every student needs to be in the classroom all day, every day and this does not always work for every child. I am about to be jumping some very big hurdles to ensure this student gets the necessary instruction she needs. The parents are going to be very upset because they are concerned how this will be socially for the child. I am trying to help them understand that we are trying to help this student reach their full potential and the best way is by providing 1-1 or small group instruction in the area of math. The student's attention span is very limited and then couple this with limited basic math concepts and it is a recipe for disaster. I will update this situation as it unfolds. Stay tuned and if you have any suggestions, please let me know. On a happy note...TGIF!

Lindsey

7 comments:

  1. Oh the woes of administrative red tape...
    I realize I can't compare my son with this student, but I can say that I was worried about taking him out of his 1st grade - 3rd grade class for help w/ reading and math. He came to me crying one morning, saying the others could read, but he could not. We had him tested & they recommended the special classes for to help w/ reading & math. I wondered if he would feel weird - or the other students make him feel weird. He never complained about it. And he even said he missed is special classes, because they were fun.

    Today he is a mechanical engineer designing bio medical devices. After completing his undergraduate studies, had is pick of full scholarships to places like Stanford & MIT for graduate school. He graduated with a master's degree in mechanical engineer from MIT this year.

    My point ... If he had not been pulled out of his classes for the special help, he would never have been able to blossom to his fullest potential. Good Luck in your quest for that girl. I hope you win, because that will be HER win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmin,
    Thank you for the encouragement. Like your son I also went to "special" classes to help me with math and reading while I was in elementary school. This is truly what inspired me to become a special education teacher at the elementary level--my special education teacher is my hero, I still keep in touch with her! I can relate to these children and what they are going through because I always have to work extra hard to achieve what I want, but I always tell my students they are capable and will be successful it may just take looking at something from a different angle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? That different angle is more and more important as societies become global, not just than local as before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey, I really enjoyed reading your post. I am going through a similar situation this year. I have a new girl in my class who reads at a first grade level and her math skills aren't much higher. The SPED teacher and I have been working together to try and provide the extra support she needs, but the problem is since our school has adopted the inclusion model...she isn't get the extra support she needs......so FRUSTRATING for sure. Next year she goes on to middle school and I am concerned about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very upsetting when you know what is best for the student but due to regulations and rules, you are unable to provide the necessary services. It is very troublesome when you send students on to the middle school and you know they are so far behind. The sad thing is the gap will continue to get wider for these students. Hang in there and if I can be of any assistance please let me know--I work with 4-6 grades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lindsey. I really appreciate you offering support...just nice to be able to relate since it can be so frustrating at times.

    ReplyDelete