"Every child is gifted--they just unwrap their packages at different times" ~Unknown







Friday, June 25, 2010

Required Reading # 1: YouTube Comes to the Classroom

Before I took this course, I was not a big fan of YouTube. I had never explored YouTube personally and had listened to other's negative opinions of the site. From these opinions, I formed my own that the majority of YouTube content was offensive and should not be allowed in the school environment. However, after reading this article and experiencing YouTube first hand in this course, I have learned that it can be used in a positive manner to enrich students’ learning. Of course teachers need to make sure they place boundaries while using it so students do not take advantage of the site. I do not believe students should be allowed to go out and search for their own YouTube videos, but if teachers locate educational videos for student viewing this is okay. I completely agree with the point that Anna Adam and Helen Mowers made in this article about kids wanting a voice and that this site gives them one. I also agree that YouTube can motivate and engage students in learning. The system I work for currently has YouTube blocked, but if I do use YouTube as a resource in the classroom, I will use the site KeepVID to upload a video and play for my students in the classroom. I enjoyed this article and found it very informative. It has absolutely changed my opinion on YouTube’s place in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment