"Every child is gifted--they just unwrap their packages at different times" ~Unknown







Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Co-Teaching

There are different forms of co-teaching in an inclusion classroom. See the diagrams below for the 6 types:
Working with upper elementary grades the forms of co-teaching that I use the most are: one teach, one drift, alternative teaching, and one teach, one observe. Of course, the goal of Inclusion is for the teacher groups to move to team teaching. Since this is only the second year of implementing this structure, I have not been able to do this form of co-teaching. Some of the teachers I work with are more open to this idea but some are  not. As my relationships develop with these teachers and we develop a trust between us, I foresee me doing more team teaching in the future. Do you have Inclusion in your school? If so, what forms of co-teaching are taking place?

3 comments:

  1. I have an Inclusion class, but I only have an instructional aide. Between the two of us, we usually each have one group during centers, but she stays with her two students instead of working in other groups. Does your school have two classroom teachers in one room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually, we have one teacher and one assistant in the inclusion classroom at least an hour each day--I go into reading for at least an hour and usually math for 30 minutes for each of my grade levels. If a student is 1-1 than that assistant follows the classroom schedule. There is just not enough $ to provide the support that is necessary for each individual student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting to read Johnna and your comments. I typically have 27-32 students in my fifth grade classroom every year. The only time I see another adult body in my room is when a student has an assigned para-educator. Sometimes, one para-educator will be with 2-3 students. These students come to me from the autism program and spend about 80-85% of their day with me. Our Sped teacher works with all 3-5 grade students in our building. Her case load is always heavy and she is amazing to work with. There just needs to be more than one of her to go around. Lindsey, your are so right...there just isn't enough $ to provide the necessary support for each student.

    ReplyDelete